Business Improvement Grants
This program will deliver $20 million through the Business Improvement Grants program. These grants will help stimulate the economy and keep Territorians in jobs.
It’s part of the Territory Government’s Jobs Rescue and Recovery plan in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
All eligible Territory businesses will be able to access a $10,000 grant.
For work valued at more than $10,000, the co-contribution by the Territory Government is limited to $10,000 on a dollar-for-dollar basis up to a maximum grant of $20,000.
Each business is only eligible to receive one grant, and it can be used to complete one or two different jobs on the premises.
The upgrades and purchases have to be from another Territory business.
The program operates through a voucher system.
Applications are now closed as the estimated value of applications received to date has exceeded the funding limit for this program.
Read the full terms and conditions.
You must practise physical distancing during the planning and delivery of your renovation works.
If either you or the service provider are unwell, in self-isolation or self-quarantine, stay in touch by phone until it is safe to meet in person.
Your voucher and registration can be cancelled at any time if you fail to follow the safety guidelines. You may also be referred to the police.
For more information on staying safe, go to the coronavirus (COVID-19) website.
Who can apply
You can apply if you are a business or enterprise that:
- has a valid legal entity and holds a valid Australian business number (ABN) from the date the program was announced (18 March 2020)
- is not an excluded recipient - refer to the terms and conditions
- has its principal place of doing business physically located in the Northern Territory (NT)
- services its customers or clientele from a shopfront premises
- offers goods and / or services to the public
- was offering its services wholly or substantially in the NT for at least one month at the time of applying for a grant.
What you can use the grant for
You can use the grant to purchase goods and services to make permanent physical improvements to a business (land and / or building) that help its operations and customer experience.
You must not use a voucher with any other voucher or other benefit granted under any other program (whether an Australian Government or NT Government program) to pay for the same works.
Eligible works include:
- buying new equipment
- new shop fit outs
- physical changes to attract customers.
Eligible works must:
- include a labour component and
- be carried out by an eligible business that is not related to the grant recipient.
Tradies and businesses used must be registered to take part in the scheme.
Works that are excluded
Excluded works include:
- security improvement works as defined under the Biz Secure and Alcohol Secure programs
- buying solar photovoltaic (PV) panels or installing solar panels - eg rooftop solar, and any related solar works (except solar hot water)
- works that are to be carried out by the grant recipient on a ‘do-it-yourself’ basis or
- works carried out by a business related to the grant recipient.
When work can start
Eligible works can start after an application has been approved by the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation.
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
No new applications are being accepted.
Applications are assessed in the order they are received.
For further enquiries please email the relevant email address and we will respond within two business days.
After you apply
All work must be completed within six months of the date of issue of the voucher, or 30 April 2021 - whichever is sooner.
For more information, contact the Business Recovery team.